Zesty Broiled Asparagus with Cotija
Total Time:10 minutes
Asparagus is at its best when kissed with high heat, which browns and sweetens it while also keeping it firm. Make sure you have the rest of the meal ready to serve, because once the asparagus goes under the broiler it will be done in a flash. A sprinkling of chili powder gives the asparagus some kick, and Cotija cheese makes this a perfect side. The cooking time depends on the size of your spears, so adjust accordingly.
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ounces Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat the broiler and move the top rack of the oven so it’s six inches away from the heat source.
- Line a sheet pan with foil. Snap off the bottom couple inches from the asparagus and discard. Place the stalks on the sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chili powder and salt. Toss to coat.
- Spread the asparagus evenly on the pan, and broil for two to four minutes, just until the asparagus is browning in spots and the oil is sizzling on the pan. If your asparagus is thin, it will take two minutes; thicker asparagus will take longer. Remove from the broiler, sprinkle with the Cotija cheese and oregano, and return to broil for one minute to heat the cheese.
Asparagus pairs well with proteins, such as chicken, ham or veggie sausage, or pastas like orzo.
100 calories, 7 g. fat, 15 mg. cholesterol, 520 mg. sodium, 5 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 6 g. protein