Arugula and Orange Salad
Total Time:15 minutes
Servings:4 to 6
When citrus is in season, you can showcase the sparkling colors of scarlet blood oranges, deep pink Cara Cara, and brilliant orange navels in this salad. Spread atop a deep green bed of nutty, vibrant arugula, their colors make the salad course irresistible. A simple vinaigrette, a sprinkle of salty ricotta salata, and fragrant spearmint are all you need to complete a perfect picture.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup slivered red onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 large Cara Cara orange, peeled and sliced in rounds
- 2 large blood oranges, peeled and sliced in rounds
- 1 large navel orange, peeled and sliced in rounds
- 1/4 cup fresh spearmint, chopped
- 2 oz. ricotta salata, thinly sliced (substitute feta or Pecorino Romano if not available)
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- In a medium bowl, combine the red wine vinegar and sugar and stir. Add the red onions and toss to mix. Let stand to pickle a little while you prep the salad.
- In a cup, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, honey and salt, and reserve.
- On a platter, spread the arugula, then arrange the orange slices in layers. Remove the onions from the marinade and scatter them over the oranges. Sprinkle with spearmint, ricotta salata and pecans, then drizzle with the dressing. Serve immediately.
Serve with a steaming bowl of soup and crusty bread for a hearty winter meal.
290 calories, 18 g. fat, 10 mg. cholesterol, 560 mg. sodium, 28 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 7 g. protein