Grilled Asparagus and Gruyere Subs
Total Time:25 minutes
Fresh grilled asparagus, melted Gruyere and a dab of pesto make these simple sandwiches shine.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed to 6-inch lengths
- 4 oz. Gruyère cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 6-inch sub rolls or 2 small baguettes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Place the mayonnaise and pesto in a cup and stir to mix well. Reserve.
- Cut the baguette in half to make two 6-inch pieces. Split the rolls or baguette pieces for sandwiches and lightly brush the cut sides with olive oil. Reserve. Place the trimmed asparagus in a large bowl and toss with remaining olive oil to coat. Preheat the grill pan until hot, then grill the asparagus, turning with tongs, until the spears are marked and slightly shriveled, about 3 minutes depending on the thickness of the spears. Move to a plate and cover loosely.
- Place the rolls or baguette pieces on the grill pan, cut side down, and toast for about 2 minutes. Turn the pieces and place Gruyère slices on the bottom halves of the four sandwiches and cover with warm asparagus. Cook for a minute or two to melt the cheese. Spread the mayonnaise mixture on the top halves of the bread and place on top of the asparagus. Move the sandwiches to a plate and serve.
Asparagus is easy to grill and perfect for filling a sandwich for a quick weeknight meal. Cut the sandwiches smaller for a great appetizer or brunch offering, or refrigerate them for a quick lunch the next day.
430 calories, 19 g. fat, 35 mg. cholesterol, 500 mg. sodium, 39 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 16 g. protein