Summer Melon Salad with Mint and Prosciutto
Total Time:30 minutes
The flavors of sweet melon, savory prosciutto and fresh mint play off each other perfectly in this refreshing summer fruit salad.
- 1 small seedless watermelon, between 3-4 pounds
- 1 pound cantaloupe (about 1/2 medium-sized melon)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, minced
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled or cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 6-8 ounces prosciutto or ham, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Cut each of the melons in half. Scoop the seeds out of the cantaloupe. Using a sharp knife, trim the rind off the melons and cut the flesh into 1-inch cubes. Gently mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Serve on crisp lettuce leaves and garnish with the prosciutto.
Pair this salad with fresh salad greens or a couscous salad, crostini and sweet tea for the perfect al fresco lunch or summer salad buffet. Experiment with different varieties of seasonal fruits: honeydew, strawberries, blueberries, and pineapple are delicious contrasts to the salty prosciutto and feta.
Tips & Notes
Make a vegetarian version by skipping the prosciutto or ham. Or go further and make it vegan by also replacing the feta with a cup of coursely chopped pitted kalamata olives.
197 calories, 10 g. fat, 29 mg. cholesterol, 581 mg. sodium, 21 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 9 g. protein