Whole Wheat Penne Pasta with Pumpkin Sauce
Total Time:30 minutes
Sometimes, a creamy, herb-laced pasta sauce is perfect for a fall night. This quick weeknight version uses smooth pumpkin and Greek yogurt, along with whole wheat penne for a satisfying, seasonal meal.
- 1 lb. whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Place a large pot of salted water on the stove for the pasta and begin heating to a boil. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and add the onion. Sauté, stirring until the onions sizzle, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for at least 10 minutes. When the onions are soft and golden, add the garlic and sage, and stir for a few seconds, until fragrant.
- Stir in the pumpkin, vegetable stock, wine, salt and pepper and whisk to mix. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium and simmer vigorously, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until thickened. While the mixture is still hot, whisk in the yogurt and Parmesan cheese, then remove from heat. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and toss with the sauce and parsley. Serve hot.
340 calories, 8 g. fat, 10 mg. cholesterol, 460 mg. sodium, 53 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. fiber, 15 g. protein