Whole Wheat Beer Bread
Total Time:1 hour 15 minutes; 15 minutes active
Servings:14 (1 loaf)
When you think of a quick bread, you might think of bananas and pumpkin. This enigmatic loaf is not so sweet—just dark with molasses and the subtle flavors of beer. Chewy bulgur and whole wheat flour make it healthy and hearty.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup oil
- 12 ounces wheat beer or lager
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan. In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil, then add the bulgur and cover. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Take off the heat, uncover, let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine unbleached flour, whole wheat flour, cooked bulgur, baking powder, and salt. Mix the molasses and oil in a medium bowl, and stir in the beer to mix. Pour into the flour mixture and stir until well-mixed. Scrape dough into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.
Tips & Notes
Here are some options for substitutions, if you need them:
- If you don't have bulgur, try cracked wheat or 1/3 cup oats instead.
- If you don't have molasses, try maple syrup or honey, or 3 tablespoons brown sugar instead.
156 calories, 4 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 348 mg. sodium, 25 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 4 g. protein