Two Berry Picnic Salad
Total Time:1 hour; 20 minutes total
Perk up your picnic with this bright, savory salad featuring strawberries and wheatberries.
- 1 cup wheatberries
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 medium scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, slivered
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- In a 1-quart pot, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add the wheatberries and return to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 45 minutes. When the grain is tender, drain and rinse with cold water, drain again and place in a large bowl. Let the wheat berries cool to room temperature.
- Place four small strawberries in a food processor or blender, and puree. Add the lemon juice and honey and process to mix. Add the salt and pepper, replace the lid, and drizzle in the oil with the machine running. Pour the dressing over the wheatberries, add the halved strawberries, shredded carrot, scallions, mint and lemon zest, then sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese.
If you’re bringing this salad to a picnic, pack the crumbled goat cheese and strawberries in separate containers from the salad and sprinkle on just before serving. The blend of flavors are a great complement to grilled chicken or fish.
Calories 400, 19 g. fat, 10 mg. cholesterol, 450 mg. sodium, 54 g. carbohydrate, 16 g. fiber, 12 g. protein