Tuscan Kale Salad
Total Time:15 minutes
Looking to liven up your salad rotation? Try a lusty, chewy kale salad, and wake up your salad course. Kale is perfect drizzled with tangy-sweet dressing, and accented with crunchy nuts and savory cheese. And unlike lettuce salads, this one makes a good left-over, and marinating the leaves tenderizes them a little bit more with each day in the refrigerator.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 bunch kale (10 ounces), stems removed, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved
- In a large bowl, stir together the balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic and basil. Whisk in the olive oil and salt.
- Add the chopped kale and toss to coat. Top with the almonds and use a vegetable peeler to shave the Parmesan over the salad and serve. Can be refrigerated for up to three days.
This salad goes well with most Italian meals, from a tomato sauced pasta to an herb-roasted chicken.
201 calories, 14 g. fat, 6 mg. cholesterol, 287 mg. sodium, 14 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 7 g. protein