Thai Lettuce Wraps with Seitan
Total Time:25 minutes active; 40 minutes total
These easy Thai wraps topped with a peanutty sauce pack in the flavor. For a non-vegetarian version, try beef or chicken.
- 1 pound seitan, drained and diced
- 1/4 cup lime juice, divided
- 3 teaspoons red curry paste, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 head of butter lettuce, separated into leaves, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 5 scallions, diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- In a medium bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons lime juice, 2 teaspoons red curry paste, 1 tablespoon water, and a pinch of salt. Add the diced seitan and set aside in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- While the seitan marinates, prepare the sauce, lettuce and vegetables. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon tamari, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 teaspoon red curry paste and 2 teaspoons brown sugar. Set aside. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the seitan and marinade and sauté until the marinade is absorbed and the seitan begins to brown (about 7 minutes). Turn off the heat and stir in the bell pepper, carrot, scallions, cilantro and peanuts.
- Lay out 8 medium-large lettuce leaves, divide the filling between them, drizzle each one with sauce and serve. To eat, fold or roll the lettuce leaf over the ingredients like a soft taco.
Got leftover cooked chicken or beef? Marinate and substitute either of these for the seitan. Add cooked rice to the filling if desired.
Calories: 383, Fat: 13 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 852 mg, Carbohydrate: 18 g, Dietary Fiber: 5 g, Protein: 33 g