Sweet Potato and Greens Gratin
Total Time:30 minutes active, 1 hour 15 minutes total
This savory, vitamin-rich casserole makes a hearty accompaniment to roasted poultry or ham, or atop baked polenta.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 pound kale or Swiss chard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan or smoked Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and butter or oil a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Wash, shred and blanch the kale or chard for 3 minutes in boiling water; squeeze out any excess liquid. Line the bottom of the casserole dish with half of the sweet potato arranged in a single layer, with slices overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with half the smoked paprika, half the chili powder and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Spread half of the kale or chard evenly over the sweet potatoes. Drizzle with half the melted butter. Repeat with another layer of sweet potatoes, spices, kale or chard, and butter. Pour the heavy cream evenly over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle the cheese evenly over the gratin, and bake another 10-15 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is just beginning to brown. Serve warm.
A vitamin-rich alternative to scalloped potatoes, this casserole is a hearty accompaniment to roasted poultry or ham, or served atop baked polenta. If you’re serving roast beef or turkey, try substituting smoky shredded Cheddar for the Parmesan.
Calories: 276, Fat: 14 g, Cholesterol: 43 mg, Sodium: 73 mg, Carbohydrate: 35 g, Dietary Fiber: 5 g, Protein: 4 g