Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Total Time:20 minutes
This is one of our High Five recipes, made from five main ingredients or less. Simplify your life with more delicious High Five recipes.
In the race to put a meal on the table, this really doesn't take much longer than the instant macaroni and cheese from a box. It's so much more delicious, and you can use your favorite local cheddar for an instant upgrade.
The High Five
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 8 ounces macaroni, 2 cups
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Pantry and Kitchen Items
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place milk, water, onion and salt in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a full boil, then stir in the macaroni. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to keep at a simmer. Stir frequently for 10 minutes.
- Start testing the pasta for doneness. When just al dente, stir in the peas, and when they are heated through, stir in the cheese and keep stirring until melted and creamy. Serve hot.
Kids of all ages like macaroni and cheese, but if your kids aren’t fond of peas, just subtract them from this recipe. You can’t go wrong serving mac and cheese with roasted or fried chicken.
650 calories, 22 g. fat, 145 mg. cholesterol, 1110 mg. sodium, 78 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 35 g. protein