Spinach and Barley Dumplings
Total Time:1 hour 30 minutes, 35 active
These tasty and comforting dumplings will warm you up, inside and out.
- 3/4 cup pearled barley, rinsed well
- 1 pound fresh spinach, washed and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green onion, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- Steam the spinach until just tender, cool, squeeze out excess liquid, and chop. Set aside.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups water and barley in a 5 quart sauce pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain off any excess liquid and set barley aside to cool.
- In a large food processor, pulse the spinach, onion, garlic and herbs until finely chopped. Add the cooled barley, egg, Parmesan, salt and pepper to the processor and blend well. Add flour until the dough sticks together (you should be able to pinch a piece and roll it into a small ball-shaped dumpling). Dust your hands with flour, roll small dumplings and set on a parchment-lined sheet pan or plate. Refrigerate dumplings while preparing the broth.
- In a large stock pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and green onion and sauté for a few minutes. Add the broth and water, cover, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat so the broth gently boils. Add about 15 dumplings at a time to the broth and simmer for about 6-8 minutes, stirring gently. Remove the dumplings with a slotted spoon and cover to keep warm. Repeat until all dumplings are cooked. Divide cooked dumplings among serving bowls, and spoon over some of the broth.
Garnish with extra Parmesan cheese and serve with a hearty grain salad or buttered noodles on the side.
205 calories, 5 g. fat, 41 mg. cholesterol, 429 mg. sodium, 31 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 9 g. protein