Slow Cooker Chicken Posole
Total Time:3 hours, 10 minutes; 10 minutes active
Hearty, savory posole is a traditional Mexican soup often served on Christmas Eve, but this delicious, comforting soup is wonderful any time of the year.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 1 lb. chicken breast, boneless and skinless, cubed
- 1 28-ounce can hominy, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Shredded cabbage
- Radishes, sliced
- Place the onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, chicken stock and enchilada sauce in a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the chicken, hominy and salt, and stir to mix. Cover and cook for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Serve with toppings (shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, cilantro), if desired, and top with lime wedges.
After adding all your toppings, serve with a side of warm tostadas, tortilla chips or bolillo rolls (a traditional Mexican bread).
420 calories, 8 g. fat, 95 mg. cholesterol, 1020 mg. sodium, 45 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 42 g. protein