Red Lentil Stew with Kale
Total Time:45 minutes; 20 minutes active
Fortify yourself with this hearty, warming Indian lentil and vegetable stew.
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch kale, stems and leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Rinse the lentils, then put in a pot with the water, cauliflower, red bell pepper and salt. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low, place a lid on the pot, slightly ajar, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes. Stir in the kale and cook for about 10 minutes longer, until the lentils are soft and falling apart.
- While the lentils cook, drizzle the ghee or oil in a large sauté pan and place over medium-high heat. Add the onions, ginger, mustard seeds and cumin seeds and sauté until they start to sizzle, then reduce the heat to medium-low and stir occasionally. Add the jalapeño and turmeric and stir for a few minutes before stirring into the lentils.
- Add the sauté to the cooked lentils and let simmer for 5 minutes to meld the flavors.
Complement this healthy meal with lighter side dishes, like toasted pitas with hummus and a mixed green salad with sliced tomatoes and a vinaigrette dressing.
Tips & Notes
Make this recipe vegan by using coconut oil instead of ghee.
300 calories, 2.5 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 370 mg. sodium, 54 g. carbohydrate, 12 g. fiber, 19 g. protein