Red Kuri Crème Fraîche Pie with Cinnamon
Total Time:1 hour 30 minutes (15 minutes active with prepared crust)
Make your own crust or use a pre-made crust for an even quicker version (with the lush, tangy filling, nobody will know). This decadent pie keeps it simple, with cinnamon and crème fraîche that will make your squash sing.
- 1 9-inch homemade pie crust or prepared pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups mashed red kuri or other winter squash* (prepared in advance)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large egg, whisked
- 1 1/2 cups crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a food processor or blender, puree the winter squash until smooth. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon and process until well-mixed. Add the eggs, crème fraîche, and vanilla and process. Pour into pie shell. If there is a little extra filling, put it in a small ramekin and bake separately. Put the pie on a sheet pan and put in the oven on the lowest rack. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350°F. Bake for 45 minutes more, until there are fine cracks around the puffed filling, and the center still jiggles when shaken gently.
- Cool completely on a rack before slicing.
* To cook squash
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Halve the squash, scoop out the seeds, and place it cut side down on an oiled sheet pan.
- Roast at 400°F until tender when pierced with a paring knife.
- With a metal spoon, scrape out the cooked flesh and mash with a potato masher.
Calories: 397, Fat: 27 g, Cholesterol: 114 mg, Sodium: 59 mg, Carbohydrate: 31 g, Dietary Fiber: 1 g, Protein: 5 g