Pumpkin Hand Pies
Total Time:1 hour, 40 minutes; 45 minutes active
How could you improve upon pumpkin pie? By making it into adorable single-serving hand pies of course! These delicious treats feature a buttery, flaky crust topped with crunchy cinnamon sugar.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 10 tablespoons ice water (approximate)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons Turbinado sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; mix well. Using the large holes of a grater, grate in cold butter, tossing to coat with flour. Keep tossing with a fork as you drizzle in ice water a tablespoon at a time. When flour is moistened, use your hands to gently mix the dough, pressing
- it into a ball (add another tablespoon or two of water if needed). Divide the ball into 8 equal portions, and form each into a disk. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Place cream cheese in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Add pumpkin, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and process until smooth. Scrape out into a small bowl and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Whisk egg with a tablespoon of water. In a small bowl, mix the Turbinado sugar with the remaining cinnamon. On a lightly floured counter, roll out each dough disk to an oval shape, about 6 by 4 inches. Place 2 tablespoons of filling in the center of each oval, and brush egg wash around the edges with a pastry brush. Fold dough over the filling and seal edges with a fork. Place each hand pie on the prepared pan; brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until browned and crisp. Cool pies for at least 5 minutes before serving.
For a festive presentation, serve with a dollop of whipped cream on each one. They’re great at room temperature, and keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
310 calories, 17 g. fat, 70 mg. cholesterol, 240 mg. sodium, 35 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 5 g. protein