Pesto Di Noci
Total Time:30 minutes; 10 minutes active
Pasta with homemade walnut-basil pesto boasts rich, fresh flavor, and it's super-easy to make!
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 12-ounce package whole wheat linguine
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes until golden brown. Cook the pasta, according to package directions, until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, blend the toasted walnuts, garlic, olive oil and basil in a food processor until a smooth paste is formed. Toss the warm linguine with the pesto, then fold in the ricotta cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
A quick antipasto platter of pickled vegetables, olives and strips of red bell pepper are a great accompaniment to this northern Italian-inspired pasta. Substitute mascarpone for the ricotta, or, for a dairy-free version, add another tablespoon of olive oil when you toss the pesto and pasta.
310 calories, 14 g. fat, 5 mg. cholesterol, 15 mg. sodium, 37 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 11 g. protein