Mixed Greens and Asiago Hoagie
Total Time:10 minutes
This is one of our High Five recipes, made from five main ingredients or less. Simplify your life with more delicious High Five recipes.
Sandwiches can be a healthful, satisfying meal when you stuff them with an entire salad! Opt for a whole grain baguette—you will stay fuller longer and enjoy the hearty flavor. Purchased pesto makes this so easy, and tastes like summer in a jar.
The High Five
- 4 cups mixed greens, or spinach
- 2 tablespoons jarred pesto
- 2 8-inch baguette pieces
- 4 ounces Asiago cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
Pantry and Kitchen Items
- Season to taste, if desired
- Heat the broiler. Put the mixed greens in a medium bowl and add the pesto, tossing to coat.
- Slice the baguette pieces in half lengthwise, but not all the way through, so that they open like a book. Open them and place on a sheet pan, then cover the open bread with cheese slices. Place under the broiler just until the cheese is toasted, about a minute.
- Transfer the baguettes to plates and stuff with greens and tomato slices. Serve with a fork to pick up any extra greens that fall out.
For a satisfying lunch, pair this sandwich with a cup of tomato soup or sliced fresh fruit, like peaches or nectarines when in season.
570 calories, 16 g. fat, 40 mg. cholesterol, 1390 mg. sodium, 49 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 30 g. protein