Mexican Beans and Rice
Total Time:15 minutes
Sweet potatoes and the smoky flavor of chipotle peppers amp up the flavor in this versatile recipe. Perfect as a side or burrito filling.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup green and red bell peppers, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup fire-roasted tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chipotle peppers, minced (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 cup precooked brown rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedges for garnish
- In a medium stockpot, heat the oil and saute onions, sweet potatoes, and bell peppers over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices and saute 2 minutes more, until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chopped chipotles, and black beans and simmer 5 minutes. Add the rice and heat through.
- Remove from heat, stir in chopped cilantro (if using) and serve with lime wedges.
350 calories, 8 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 473 mg. sodium, 59 g. carbohydrate, 11 g. fiber, 10 g. protein