Mac and Cheese
Total Time:1 hour 40 minutes; 30 minutes active
This healthy version of macaroni and cheese will delight kids and parents alike. The recipes serves 12, so it's great for a crowd, dinner for two or more nights or freeze half and reserve it for a busy weeknight meal.
- 2 pounds butternut squash
- 1 pound whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons ﬂour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 16 ounces low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 slice whole grain bread
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Slice squash in half and discard the seeds. Bake cut side down on baking sheet lined with parchment until soft, about one hour.
- Cook macaroni according to directions on the package.
- Pulse bread in food processor until coarse crumbs form. Reserve.
- Whisk ﬂour in heavy pan to remove any lumps. Gradually add 1/4 cup cold milk. Heat the remaining 3/4 cups of milk in microwave. Add the hot milk and nutmeg. Whisk until smooth, over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Take oﬀ the heat. Whisk in beaten egg.
- When the squash has cooled, scoop out ﬂesh and puree in food processor.
- Puree the cottage cheese in the food processor.
- Add the pureed cottage cheese, squash, cheddar cheese, Dijon, nutmeg, and cayenne to the white sauce. In a large bowl, combine sauce and macaroni, tossing to coat evenly.
- Coat a 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray. Pour macaroni and cheese into pan. Blend olive oil with parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Sprinkle the mixture over the macaroni. Bake until bubbling and brown (about 35 minutes).
Serve with a fresh green salad or steamed vegetables.
246 calories, 6 g. fat, 28 mg. cholesterol, 264 mg. sodium, 35 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. fiber, 14 g. protein