Kale and Chickpea Mini Frittatas
Total Time:45 minutes; 15 minutes active
Rushed in the morning? Bake a batch of these high-protein, low-fat mini frittatas, and you can refrigerate them for the week, or freeze them to take with as you run out the door.
- 12 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 4 leaves kale, chopped finely
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners, or grease with shortening or butter, and set aside. (The egg whites will stick if you don’t line or grease the pan well.)
- Whisk the egg whites and salt in a medium bowl, reserve.
- Drain the chickpeas in a wire strainer and place in a large bowl. (The liquid from the chickpeas may be saved for another use; see Tips & Notes below.) Add the kale and tomatoes to the chickpeas. Add the parsley and thyme and mix well, then divide mixture between the muffin cups, placing the items loosely so the egg white can flow around them. Divide the egg whites between the muffin cups, about 1/4 cup of egg per muffin. Tap the pan on the counter to settle the ingredients.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the eggs are set and firm. Cool on a rack before refrigerating or freezing in an airtight container or plastic freezer bag.
60 calories, .5 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 125 mg. sodium, 8 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 6 g. protein