Hot and Spicy Tofu
Total Time:30 minutes
Spice up a weeknight dinner with this quick and easy tofu and vegetable recipe.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 14-ounce block extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 1- to 2-inch cubes
- 1 red onion, thinly julienned
- 2 bell peppers, thinly julienned
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the cubed tofu and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes until it begins to brown, stirring occasionally to brown all sides. Add the onion and bell peppers and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes more. Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the tamari, rice vinegar, brown sugar and red pepper flakes and let simmer for a few more minutes.
Serve on a bed of steaming hot jasmine or japonica rice or alongside sesame-seasoned udon or soba noodles. Add baby salad greens or shredded cabbage and roll in a warmed whole-wheat tortilla for an Asian wrap. Substitute sriracha or gochujang for the crushed red pepper flakes if desired.
189 calories, 10 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 411 mg. sodium, 14 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 13 g. protein