Grilled Chicken with Cherry Chutney
Total Time:15 minutes active, 60-75 total
This flavorful cherry chutney transforms ordinary grilled chicken. The chutney is also delicious on lamb, pork and duck.
- 1/2 pound fresh cherries, washed and pitted
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup apple, diced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon peeled, minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (more for spicier chutney)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except the chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer on low for about 1 hour, stirring frequently to prevent burning and sticking. The chutney is finished once it has thickened and there is almost no liquid.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and grill 5-6 minutes on each side until juices run clear and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove from heat to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes before serving, topped with the chutney.
A summery couscous salad studded with grilled vegetables makes a great seasonal side dish. The chutney is also delicious on lamb, pork and duck.
390 calories, 6 g. fat, 145 mg. cholesterol, 281 mg. sodium, 280 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 53 g. protein