Golden Turmeric Miso Soup
Total Time:30 minutes
Turmeric, ginger and black pepper give this miso broth a zingy flavor. Kombu is a source of umami and adds trace minerals that are very valuable.
- 8 cups water
- 1 piece kombu
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup white miso
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 14 oz. extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 6 oz. soba noodles
- Put a medium pot of water on to boil to cook the soba noodles.
- In a large pot, place the water and kombu on low heat. Let the kombu infuse for 20 minutes before raising the heat to medium and bringing to a low simmer. Remove the kombu with tongs and discard.
- Add the carrot, ginger and garlic to the simmering stock and cook for about 4-5 minutes. In a small bowl, stir the miso, turmeric, black pepper, red pepper flakes, rice vinegar and tamari to make a paste, and whisk into the soup.
- Add the broccoli and tofu and stir in gently, letting cook for 2 minutes until broccoli is tender. Cook the soba according to package directions, about 4 minutes. Divide soba evenly among four bowls and ladle soup over the noodles.
Tips and Notes
To make this soup gluten-free, choose wheat-free tamari and soba noodles made from 100% buckwheat.
420 calories, 10 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 1140 mg. sodium, 61 g. carbohydrate, 11 g. fiber , 31 g. protein