Total Time:45 minutes
A colorful display of vibrant, fresh fruit atop a shortbread cookie crust and cream cheese frosting makes a delightful dessert.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, 1-inch slices
- 2 large egg yolks
- 12 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 medium strawberries, sliced
- 2 large kiwis, peeled, sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 small mango, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 12-inch round pizza pan or a sheet pan with parchment.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt and pulse to mix. Add the butter and egg yolks and pulse until a crumbly dough starts to form; don't overmix. Transfer to a bowl and knead gently into a stiff dough. Form into a disk. Place the disk in the center of the parchment-lined pan.
- Flatten the dough with your palms to make an 11-inch round. Prick all over with a fork. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.
- Cool on a rack.
- In a food processor, place the cream cheese and process until no lumps remain, scraping down and repeating as needed. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and process until smooth. Spread over the cooled crust (make sure the crust is completely cooled before adding the topping).
- Arrange the fruit over the crust. Use a pizza cutter or chef's knife to cut into wedges. Serve.
- Keeps, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for a day.
Prepare this colorful delight a day in advance and serve to top off a perfect summertime lunch or afternoon snack. Accompany it with a glass of crisp, sweet wine, fresh lemonade or a cup of medium-roast coffee.
670 calories, 42 g. fat, 260 mg. cholesterol, 370 mg. sodium, 67 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 9 g. protein