Easy Flourless Chocolate Cake with Ganache
Total Time:1 hour total (plus cooling time); 25 minutes active
This delightfully rich gluten-free chocolate cake makes no compromises when it comes to taste, texture and pleasure.
- 10 oz. dark chocolate, divided
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut a 9-inch circle of parchment paper to fit the bottom of a 9-inch cake pan. Press the paper in the bottom of the pan and lightly oil the parchment. Reserve.
- In a 2-quart pan, place 6 ounces of the chocolate and the butter. Over medium-low heat, melt the two, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar, salt and vanilla, then stir in the eggs, just until mixed. Stir in the cocoa until well-mixed, then transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Smooth the top and bake for 25–30 minutes. The cake will be puffed and a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean.
- Cool the cake on a rack for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the cake edges to loosen it. Place the rack on top of the cake pan, and hold it tightly to the pan as you flip the cake onto the rack. Peel off the parchment paper and let cool completely.
- While the cake cools, place the cream in a small pot and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and add the remaining chocolate and let stand for a minute to melt the chocolate before stirring with a heat-safe spatula. When smooth, let cool slightly.
- Transfer the cake to a serving plate. Pour about half of the ganache on the center of the cake and use your spatula to spread it out to the edges and over the sides. Pour the remaining ganache over any uncovered spots and spread it evenly. Let cool at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Cut into 8–12 slices, and serve at room temperature.
This rich dessert is perfectly accompanied by a colorful assortment of berries. Top generously with strawberries, blueberries and raspberries and, if you choose, add a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
370 calories, 31 g. fat, 120 mg. cholesterol, 140 mg. sodium, 24 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 6 g. protein