Cucumber-Avocado Soup with Heirloom Tomatoes
Total Time:30 minutes
- 3 large cucumbers, peeled and seeded, cut in chunks
- 2 medium avocados, peeled, pits removed
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt (not Greek)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped heirloom tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- Tortilla chips (optional)
Place the cucumbers in a blender and add the avocado flesh. Add 3 tablespoons lemon juice and yogurt and blend until smooth. Add the salt and scallions and pulse to mix. In a separate bowl, mix the tomatoes, mint, remaining lemon juice, garlic, jalapeño and salt to taste. To serve, divide the soup between four bowls and smooth the top. Spoon the heirloom tomato mixture into the center of the soup. Serve with chips, if desired.
Avocados are creamy and rich, and the addition of juicy cucumbers makes a deliciously refreshing cool summer soup. A touch of yogurt gives it a little extra creaminess and protein and the bright heirloom tomatoes give the soup great eye appeal. Serve it chilled with a few tortilla chips alongside for crunch.
210 calories, 12 g. fat, 5 mg. cholesterol, 490 mg. sodium, 25 g. carbohydrate, 8 g. fiber, 7 g. protein