Cranberry Tart with Pecan Crust
Total Time:2 hours 40 minutes; 40 minutes active
This elegant cranberry mousse tart is a delectable show-stopper.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- Ice water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces chevre cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
- In the food processor bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, salt and pecans. Process until the pecans are ground. Add the cubed butter and pulse until the butter is in tiny pieces. In a cup, stir the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of ice water, and pour over the contents of the processor. Pulse just until a dough forms, squeeze the mixture to see if it holds together. Add a tablespoon of water if needed to make a pliable dough. Press into an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, or a spring-form cheesecake pan. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Line the tart crust with foil and fill with beans or pie weights. Bake for about 20 minutes, remove the foil and weights, then bake for 10 more minutes, until lightly golden; let cool completely.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the whipping cream to stiff peaks, then scrape it out into a medium bowl and reserve. In the same bowl, place the chevre, sugar and vanilla and beat until soft and fluffy. Fold in a dollop of the whipped cream, then fold in the rest, being careful not to deflate the cream. Scrape the mixture into the cooled tart shell and smooth the top. Place in the refrigerator to set, for an hour.
- Stir the cranberry sauce to distribute berries evenly, then spoon over the cooled tart. Keep in the refrigerator until serving.
Baking the crust in a spring-form pan makes it easy to create a show-stopping presentation for your holiday finale. Use your very best cake plate, and decorate with candied chestnuts and twists of lemon peel around the base of the tart.
400 calories, 29 g. fat, 105 mg. cholesterol, 200 mg. sodium, 35 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 7 g. protein