Chinese Beef and Broccoli
Total Time:25 minutes
You don't need take out to enjoy this popular Chinese dish. It's easy to make and really tasty, so if you cherish leftovers, you might just want to double the recipe!
- 1 pound broccoli or broccolini, large florets
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or sherry
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons ginger root, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, or canola
- 1 pound steak, sliced
- Cooked rice
- Put on a large pot of water to boil, then blanch the broccoli by dropping it into the boiling water for one minute. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain.
- In a cup, mix the oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, rice wine, rice vinegar, chicken stock and sesame oil, then whisk in the cornstarch. Reserve. Mince the garlic and ginger and reserve. Heat a wok or heavy skillet over high heat until hot, then add the oil and swirl the pan to coat. Toss in the beef and sear briefly one side before stirring. When the outsides of the strips are browned but the insides are still pink, add the garlic and ginger and stir for a few seconds, then add the oyster sauce mixture. Stir constantly until thickened, then add the broccoli and toss to heat through and coat with sauce. Serve hot over rice.
Calories: 556, Fat: 17 g, Cholesterol: 59 mg, Sodium: 529 mg, Carbohydrate: 67 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 31 g