Chicken Parmesan with Penne and Mozzarella
Total Time:1 hour, 30 minutes active
In this dish, a crispy, parmesan-coated chicken breast is nestled atop a comforting pile of penne in red sauce, for a combination of textures and flavors that will make it a family favorite.
- Olive oil spray
- 4 small chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 cups jarred marinara sauce
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Put on a large pot of water for the pasta and add salt.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment or foil, and spray lightly with olive oil spray.
- Trim the chicken breasts and pat dry. In a large bowl, whisk the egg with garlic powder and black pepper. In a pie pan or wide bowl, mix the panko, parmesan, salt, basil, oregano and paprika. Dip each breast in egg mixture, then the panko mixture, then place on the baking sheet. Spray with olive oil to lightly coat.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the chicken registers 160 F on an instant-read thermometer.
- While the chicken bakes, cook the penne according to package directions, usually 10 minutes. Drain well. Return to the pot, add the marinara sauce, and stir over medium heat until hot. Stir in the mozzarella just before serving.
- Serve a heaping cup of penne on each plate, topped with a chicken breast. Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.
A crisp green salad is the perfect accompaniment to this Italian meal.
690 calories, 19 g. fat, 185 mg. cholesterol, 880 mg. sodium, 68 g. carbohydrate, 10 g. fiber , 60 g. protein