Cherry Tomato and Pesto Galettes
Total Time:2 hours; 1 hour active
Ripe cherry tomatoes, creamy chevre cheese and flavorful pesto are nestled together in these delightfully delicious galettes.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup ice water, approximately
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto sauce
- 1/2 cup chevre cheese, softened
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tablespoon water
- 12 fresh basil leaves, slivered
- In a large bowl, combine the whole-wheat pastry flour, unbleached flour and salt, and stir to mix. Cut chilled butter into cubes and work the butter into the mixture quickly with your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly but small chunks of butter remain. Fluff the flour mixture with a fork as you drizzle in the ice water. When most of the flour is dampened, start mixing with your hands, gently squeezing the dough to bring it together. If there is still loose flour, drizzle in a tablespoon or two of water, just until you can form a firm dough. Don’t over-mix. Form the dough into a log and divide into 6 equal pieces. Shape each into a disk, place in the bowl, cover with a damp towel, and chill in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Lightly flour a countertop and take the dough out of the refrigerator. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper. On the floured counter, roll out each dough disk to a 7-inch round. Use a pastry brush dipped in water to dampen the edge of the circle, then roll the edge over to form a small rim. Transfer each dough round to the prepared pan. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- On each dough round, gently spread a heaping tablespoon of pesto, then crumble a heaping tablespoon of chevre cheese over it. Cover with cherry tomatoes, cut side up. Sprinkle galettes with any remaining chevre. In a cup, whisk the egg with a tablespoon of water, and brush the edges of the pastry. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until pastry is golden brown and the tomatoes are softened. Let cool on the pan on a rack, and garnish each with slivered basil just before serving.
To complement the mellow flavors of these individual galettes, pair them with a fresh, leafy salad featuring arugula or other peppery greens.
620 calories, 36 g. fat, 120 mg. cholesterol, 480 mg. sodium, 35 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 9 g. protein