Caramelized Onion Pizza
Total Time:40 minutes
It's amazing what a little slow cooking over low heat can do for a raw onion. Pungent sharpness is replaced by deep, sweet flavor. Goat cheese balances the caramelized sweetness in this delicious pizza.
- 1 ready to bake pizza crust
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups sliced yellow onions (about 3 medium onions)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red pepper or grilled bell peppers
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 ounces shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped grilled chicken (optional)
- To caramelize the onions, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium-low heat for about 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are very soft and lightly browned. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook a few more minutes, then remove from heat.
- Preheat the grill to low-medium heat (or preheat your oven to 400°F).
- Spread the caramelized onions evenly over the pizza crust. Top the onions with the chopped peppers, crumbled goat cheese, shredded provolone, and chicken if using. Bake for 10-15 minutes, making sure the crust does not burn. Remove from the grill or oven and let set 5 minutes before slicing.
A pesto pasta salad studded with olives, sliced tomatoes layered with fresh mozzarella cheese, and fresh baked or steamed artichokes all go well with this inspired pizza. The smoky flavor is enhanced by a full-bodied wine such as a Syrah.
Calories: 330, Fat: 16 g, Cholesterol: 37 mg, Sodium: 213 mg, Carbohydrate: 34 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Protein: 14 g