Butternut Apple Soup with Ginger
Total Time:45-60 minutes
Butternut squash and tart apples are perfect complements for each other in this delicious, creamy soup.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 1 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 - 2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 large tart apple, seeded and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk or heavy cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large stock pot, heat the butter or oil and sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger until soft. Add the squash, apple, sage and stock and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup for about 30 minutes until the squash is very soft. Remove from heat and, using a stick blender or regular blender, puree the soup. Stir in the milk or cream, if using. Season with salt and pepper.
133 calories, 5 g. fat, 12 mg. cholesterol, 61. sodium, 22 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 4 g. protein