Braised Apricot Chicken with Honey-Glazed Pears
Total Time:2 hours; 15 minutes active
This elegant chicken dish is bursting with flavors of cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, apricots, honey and pears.
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, bone-in, skin-on
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pears, cored and sliced lengthwise into eighths
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a small bowl, stir together the cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, coriander, salt and pepper until well mixed. Rub the chicken pieces with the spice mix and refrigerate for at least an hour before cooking.
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Place the chicken pieces in the pot and brown on each side (letting larger pieces, like breasts, cook a couple minutes longer than the other pieces). Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion to the same pot and sauté for 5 minutes until it begins to soften, then add the apricots and chicken broth and stir well. Return the chicken pieces to the pot, then cover and simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes until thoroughly cooked (larger breasts may require some extra cooking time).
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pear slices and the honey to the melted butter. Sauté the pears, stirring frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes until they become slightly softened and the honey has thickened and glazed the pears.
Serve the chicken pieces on a bed of cooked jasmine rice; ladle onions, apricots and liquid over the rice and chicken, and top with the glazed pears.
496 calories, 13 g. fat, 107 mg. cholesterol, 582 mg. sodium, 33 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. fiber, 35 g. protein