Total Time:1 hour; 15 minutes active
This delightful meat and chutney dish is a South African favorite.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup diced dried apricots
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Oil or butter an 8 x 8 inch baking dish.
- Tear the bread into pieces. In a mixing bowl, toss the pieces of bread together with the milk and eggs and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté the onion for 5 to 10 minutes until soft. Add the ground meat, curry powder, almonds, raisins and apricots and cook another few minutes. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Pour into the baking dish and top evenly with the bread and milk mixture. Bake for about 45 minutes until the mixture is set and the top has browned. Let sit for 15 minutes prior to serving.
Serve this popular South African dish with a scoop of yellow rice on the side, topped with mango chutney. Use ground lamb or beef instead of turkey if you prefer.
280 calories, 11 g. fat, 145 mg. cholesterol, 160 mg. sodium, 19 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 27 g. protein