Black Bean Chili
Total Time:1 hour, 20 minutes; 15 minutes active
This is one of our High Five recipes, made from five main ingredients or less. Simplify your life with more delicious High Five recipes.
This easy, meatless classic has a little extra texture thanks to quinoa, which simmers in the black bean broth and gives it body.
The High Five
- 1 cup dry black beans
- 2 large carrots
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
Pantry and Kitchen Items
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sort and rinse the black beans. Place in a large pot with the water and bring to a boil, then cover and cook on medium-low for 45 minutes.
- Add the carrots, green pepper, canned tomatoes and juices, quinoa, chili powder and salt. Return to a boil, then reduce to medium-low and cover the pot. Cook for 20 minutes, until the beans and vegetables are tender. Uncover and simmer for five minutes to thicken slightly. Serve hot.
Cornbread flecked with diced jalapeno peppers makes a tasty accompaniment to this hearty chili.
210 calories, 1.5 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 670 mg. sodium, 40 g. carbohydrate, 10 g. fiber, 12 g. protein