Asian Mixed Grain Salad
Total Time:50 minutes total; 15 minutes active
This hearty blend of grains has tons of chewy texture, accented by the crunch of carrots and peppers. A sweet and sour dressing complements the natural sweet nuttiness of whole grains, and makes it a perfect side dish to Asian main courses.
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/2 cup pearled barley, rinsed
- 3 cups water,
- 1/2 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 large scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- In a 1-quart pot, bring water to a boil. Rinse the grains and add to boiling water. Return to a boil, then lower heat and cover tightly. Let cook, covered, for 40-50 minutes, until the grains are tender. Drain the grain mixture in a wire mesh strainer, and transfer to a large bowl to cool. Chill completely.
- Once grains are chilled, add the corn, carrot, scallions and peas. In a cup or small bowl, whisk the honey, soy sauce, lemon, oil, sesame oil and ginger. Pour the dressing over the grains and toss to coat.
- Serve at room temperature or chill. Keeps for about four days, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.
Calories: 472, Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 268 mg, Carbohydrate: 96 g, Dietary Fiber: 12 g, Protein: 11 g