Honest Weight Food Co-op
The Honest Weight Food Co-op, founded in 1976, is a member-owned and operated consumer cooperative that is committed to providing affordable, high-quality natural foods and products for healthy living. We are open to the public seven days a week to provide our community with the area's largest and best selection of local and organic produce and groceries.
Honest Weight is governed as a true democracy, where member-owners vote on the annual budget, major issues and participate in yearly board elections. The business also depends on the commitment of member-owners to invest time and talent in each of our departments. We strive to keep our purchasing as local as possible and adhere to strict buying policies that are developed and voted upon by our membership, ensuring that all products available at Honest Weight are free of artificial preservatives, colors, flavors, growth hormones, high fructose corn syrup and other harmful ingredients. Each year, we donate five percent of our net profit to local non-profit organizations. All of this aligns with our mission: to promote more equitable, participatory and ecologically sustainable ways of doing business.
In 2013, we moved into a brand new store, built to be bright, friendly and environmentally sustainable. We encourage you to explore Honest Weight and become a part of our community! Some of what you’ll find:
- An impressive bulk foods selection featuring over 900 items, including pantry staples (beans, nuts, dried fruits, pastas, honey, coffees, grains) and hard-to-find specialty ingredients, including unusual herbs and spices, seaweeds, gluten-free flours and flavored salts.
- In our all-natural wellness and body care section, you’ll find vitamins, supplements, herbal remedies, all-natural sunscreen, bath and beauty products with no parabens or phthalates. Many of our wellness products are local and some are crafted by Honest Weight member-owners!
- A full-service deli with a daily hot bar, fresh salad bar, all-organic juice bar, fair-trade coffee bar, made-to-order sandwiches, sliced meats and cheeses and ready-to-eat salads and on-the-go meals, including hot, house-brined rotisserie chickens!
- Our Cheese and Specialty Foods Department features the area's finest selection of domestic artisan and international cheeses, cured meats, specialty olive oils and other fine goods.
- All-natural pet products and household cleaning products that are free of petroleum products or chlorine bleaches. Only the best for your home, family and pets!
- Local, naturally raised meats, including beef, lamb, chicken, turkey and pork, as well as exotic meats like elk, rabbit and alligator. We stock wild and sustainably grown and caught fresh and frozen seafood.
- An unbeatable selection of fresh, local and organic produce year round
- A variety of plants and garden supplies, including succulents, air plants, floral bouquets, seeds and seedlings, soil, compost, straw and more.
- Socially and environmentally conscious, and locally made or fair-trade gifts, toys, kitchen tools and greeting cards make the Co-op the perfect place to shop for unique gifts during the holidays and year round.
- A large selection of craft beer and cider, with interesting brews from Albany and around the world. We have organic and gluten-free beers too!
- Virtually any day of the week, shoppers may sign up for free classes, workshops and one-on-one wellness sessions in our Teaching Kitchen and Community Room. Our Outreach team provides nutrition education for kids and adults in area schools, libraries and at community organizations.